Job Title: General Staff Accountant
Location: Emeryville, California
Position Type: Non-exempt / Full Time
Salary Range: $75,000 – $90,000
About the Company:
NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company developing products for the eye care market. We are currently focused primarily on commercializing prescription Avenova® for managing hygiene of the eyelids and lashes in the United States. Avenova is the only eye care product formulated with a proprietary, stable and pure form of hypochlorous acid called Neutrox®. By replicating the anti-microbial chemicals used by white blood cells to fight infection, Neutrox has proven in laboratory testing to have broad antimicrobial properties. Avenova with Neutrox removes debris from the skin on eyelids and lashes without burning or stinging.
We have developed additional commercial products containing Neutrox, including our NeutroPhase® Skin and Wound Cleanser for wound care and CelleRx® for the dermatology market. We have partnerships for NeutroPhase in the U.S. as well as select overseas markets, most notably China.
In addition to our Neutrox family of products, we have also synthesized and developed a second category of novel compounds aimed at harnessing the power of white blood cell chemistry to address the global, topical anti-infective market. This second product category includes auriclosene, our lead clinical-stage Aganocide® compound, which is a patented, synthetic molecule with a broad spectrum of activity against bacteria, viruses and fungi.
The General Staff Accountant reports to the Controller. Maintains and controls the General Ledger accounts and business transactions of the organization, applying the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and thorough review of financial records.
• Assist the Controller with the day-to day, monthly and year-end operations of the Accounting/ Finance Department.
• Perform the processing and recording of employee reimbursements and ensure that all reimbursements are paid accurately and in accordance with Finance policies and procedures
• Review and process AMEX Expense reports and receipts submitted by cardholders on monthly basis.
• Manage the processing of cash receipts, recording of revenue and receivable and work closely with the Development Team to ensure that revenues and receivables in MIP are reconciled with Salesforce data at any given time.
• Perform the processing of monthly accruals, fixed assets depreciation and recording of adjusting and reclassification journal entries, if necessary.
• Perform general accounts analysis and reconciliations, including bank statements, fixed assets, and accruals.
• Assist in the preparation of financial reports such as financial statements and budget performance reporting.
Skills and Competencies
• Monitor and collect data to assess accuracy and integrity; analyze data; ensure compliance with applicable standards (i.e. GAAP), rules, regulations and systems of internal control; interpret and evaluate results, prepare documentation; create financial reports and/or presentations.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in order to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
• Be able to demonstrate attention to details and good-record-keeping
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Power Point, especially Excel).
• Hands-on detail-oriented tasks.
• Team player and can collaborate with other teams in the organization.
• High level of interpersonal skills with demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy
• Demonstrate a proficient level of professional skill and/or knowledge in accounting and keep current with developments and trends. Knowledge and ability to use applicable information technology and systems to meet work needs.
• Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, with the ability to clearly communicate issues to all levels of management.
• Experience with SAGE 100/MAS 90 or similar ERP is a plus.
• At least 2 solid years of cumulative relevant experience (accounting operations and/or audit).
• Must have a degree in Accounting or Finance, CPA is a plus
For consideration, please submit a cover letter with your resume and salary requirements by e-mail to: