NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NYSE-AMEX: NBY) http://www.novabaypharma.com, a clinical stage company developing non-antibiotic antimicrobial compounds for the treatment or prevention of a wide range of bacterial, viral and fungal infections, announced today that Ron Najafi, Ph.D., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, will present at the Maxim Group Growth Conference at 10 a.m. (ET), Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2009 at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York City.
This audio presentation with slides will be available via webcast at: http://www.wsw.com/webcast/maxim2/nby/
Dr. Najafi will provide a corporate overview and highlight NovaBay’s clinical progress, business development strategy and product development candidates. His presentation will:
• Update investors on NovaBay’s internal clinical programs in hospital-associated infections and respiratory infections.
• Provide information on NovaBay’s recent presentation of data confirming Its Aganocide® compounds are effective at killing bacteria that have developed multidrug resistance. Two studies were presented on September 14 at the 49th Annual Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC).
• Provide information on NovaBay’s recent announcements regarding the initiation of a Phase IIa clinical trial for the use of NovaBay’s lead Aganocide compound, NVC-422, for impetigo in partnership with Galderma, S.A. the world’s leading dermatology company.
• Provide information on NovaBay’s recent announcements regarding the initiation of a Phase II clinical trial for the use of NovaBay’s lead Aganocide compound, NVC-422, for viral conjunctivitis, which is being conducted by its partner Alcon, Inc. (NYSE:ACL).
• Review the partnership with Galderma, S.A. , for development of acne and impetigo products.
• Discuss the collaborative agreements with professors Markus Nagl, M.D. and Waldemar Gottardi, Ph.D. of the Medical University of Innsbruck, Austria, which broaden NovaBay’s intellectual property estate, expand its pre-clinical pipeline and advance the development of NovaBay’s Aganocide compounds by integrating on-going clinical work at the Medical University of Innsbruck with NovaBay’s development programs.
About Aganocide Compounds
The Aganocide compounds are novel, proprietary, synthetic N-chlorinated antimicrobial molecules specifically developed by NovaBay to mimic the body’s natural defense against infection. The Aganocide compounds maintain the biological activities while improving the stability of naturally occurring N-chlorinated antimicrobial molecules. These highly differentiated, first-in-class, small-molecule chemical entities, including NovaBay’s patented lead compound NVC-422, may be able to deliver the same or better efficacy than currently used antibiotics without contributing to the growing rise of antibiotic-resistant bacterial strains. In preclinical testing, the Aganocide compounds have been shown to be highly effective against bacteria, including multidrug resistant strains, viruses and fungi. They also have been demonstrated to be effective against bacteria in biofilms, which render most antibiotics ineffective. Aganocides have a high therapeutic index while providing a high degree of potency and tolerability as well as dosing versatility and flexibility.
NovaBay Pharmaceuticals is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing its proprietary and patented Aganocide compounds, which are novel, synthetic, anti-infective product candidates that are bioequivalent to the active antimicrobial molecules generated within white blood cells to treat and prevent a wide range of infections without causing bacterial resistance. NovaBay has internal development programs aimed at addressing dermatological, hospital and respiratory infections. The company has a licensing and research collaboration agreement with Alcon, Inc. for use of its Aganocide compounds to treat eye, ear and sinus infections as well as in contact lens care solutions. NovaBay has also entered into an agreement with Galderma S.A. to develop and commercialize Aganocides in acne, impetigo and other dermatological indications. For more information on NovaBay, visit: www.novabaypharma.com
NovaBay Pharmaceuticals Contacts
Thomas J. Paulson
Chief Financial Officer
Contact Thomas Paulson