NovaBay® Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NYSE MKT: NBY), a biopharmaceutical company focusing on the development and commercialization of its non-antibiotic anti-infective products, announced that it has published a scientific white paper (view the paper here) clarifying the relationship between the company’s two related categories of products and explaining how each targets pathogens and inflammation.
“We realized that clarifying the science behind our two closely related categories of FDA-cleared and investigational products could help physicians and investors understand why our portfolio reflects our mission to diminish the overuse of antibiotics,” said Keith R. Bley, Ph.D., NovaBay’s Senior Vice President of Product Development and author of the white paper. “Moreover, antibiotics never act to directly control inflammatory processes, whereas this is one of the key attributes of our products.”
NovaBay has developed a series of animations that illustrate the mechanism of action of its Aganocide portfolio of products:
Highlights of the white paper include:
• NovaBay has developed two closely related but unique categories of non-antibiotic anti-infective products, each with distinctive chemical structures and optimal target indications.
• No matter what new antibiotics are developed, there will always be a place for medicines that act on bacteria in such a way that resistance can never develop, and which require no complicated diagnostic analyses prior to treatment.
• One category of products, which includes i-Lid™ Cleanser, NeutroPhase™ and CelleRx™ is based upon NovaBay’s patented, proprietary formulation of pure hypochlorous acid (HOCl), or Neutrox™.
• The other category includes products that contain synthetic organic analogs of naturally occurring chlorotaurines, which NovaBay calls Aganocides®.
• Neutrox (Pure form of HOCl) and the Aganocides are similar in that both are based on natural molecules produced by white blood cells as first lines of defense against microbial invaders. In addition, bacteria are unable to develop resistance to either of them. But Neutrox and the aganocides have distinct properties and optimal uses.
• Lab tests reported in scientific journals show that Neutrox is more potent and faster acting than any other skin and wound cleanser, without any toxicity to mammalian cells. Those properties explain the success reported by physicians in videos, medical journals and media stories using NeutroPhase to help fight flesh-eating infections, or necrotizing fasciitis. Physicians are also getting excellent results in eye care. Patients and doctors report that i-Lid Cleanser has finally brought relief from chronic conditions like blepharitis, where Staphylcocci aureus bacteria grow on eyelids, causing swelling, redness, inflammation, irritation and a crusty build-up.
• In contrast, aganocides are larger molecules than HOCl. They do not penetrate as readily into cells. Instead, they primarily affect surface/extracellular targets on bacteria, fungi and viruses. They work more slowly than HOCl, but last longer. As a result, they are designed to be used in conditions in which more sustained action against pathogens is needed, such as irrigation of urinary catheters or skin infections such as atopic dermatitis or impetigo.
“We’re proud that our products are firmly grounded in strong science, which explains why they offer solutions to important unmet medical needs,” said Dr. Ron Najafi, Chairman and CEO of NovaBay. “But we also want to make sure that our investors and shareholders understand that we are developing two different categories of products, each of which is optimally targeted against different indications.”
Stay informed on NovaBay’s progress:
Download our Mobile InvestorApp from the Apple Store or Google Play
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Connect with NovaBay on LinkedIn
Join us on Google+
Visit NovaBay’s Website
For further information, please contact:
Keith Bley, Ph.D.
Senior Vice President, Product Development
Or email at:
This release contains forward-looking statements and opinions regarding the commercial potential of our products, which are based upon management’s current expectations, assumptions, estimates, projections and beliefs. Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual results or achievements to be materially different and adverse from those expressed in or implied by the forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause or contribute to such differences include, but are not limited to, risks and uncertainties relating to the anticipated market acceptance of our products, the clinical effectiveness of our products, and any possible unexpected adverse side effects of our products. Other risks relating to NovaBay and its products, including risks that could cause results to differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements in this press release, are detailed in NovaBay’s latest Form 10-K and Form 10-Q filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, especially under the heading “Risk Factors.” The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date, and NovaBay disclaims any intent or obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement except as required by law.